Don’t let marketing mistakes in how you manage your digital and social media pages stop you from getting the most out of your social media efforts!
Our ‘Digital and Social Media Marketing Mistakes’ guide is designed to help you understand and improve on your approach to social media marketing.
We’ll teach you practical ways on how to avoid making these online marketing mistakes in this guide.
However, with inexperience, poor quality of content, irregular updates on online company pages, poor audience targeting and poor customer service, many businesses are not getting the most out of this opportunity.
One of the main reasons is that there are plenty of social media platforms and ways to interact that it can be extremely overwhelming. It is so simple to kick-start a social media page that it might seem like coming up with a social media strategy, without a systematic plan to follow is not necessary.
It might be easy to get initial content ideas from anywhere without much thinking, but by doing so, you will not know if the content is relevant to your brand or engaging to your audience. Without proper planning and intent, your social media post might just be deemed as redundant.
Think of the actions taken on your social media page as an integrated part of social media marketing strategy. In short, acknowledge that strategic planning is IMPORTANT and VITAL for the success of your company.
Create a detailed document or calendar explaining the type of content that your brand wants to share online. This can include: notable events, dates to be planned, dates to avoided, where, when and how this content will be distributed.
When planning, have clear achievable objectives in mind, be it to build awareness, brand familiarity or purchase intent. We have worked closely with Digital Marketing Melbourne Agency Digital Bond to come up with some marketing Strategies.
Using your blog is a great way to showcase your content. However you need to make sure its quality. The biggest mistake people make is have little 200 word articles on their site that offer little to no value to their clients.
We suggest you create easy to read, in depth articles. An example of this is from Gatekeeper (A contract management system), you can see an example here: https://www.gatekeeperhq.com/blog/what-is-contract-management
These guys have created content that is not only easy to read, but its also informative for any customer that lands on their page.
Start by creating a digital marketing strategy for each digital channel.
1. Research On the Types of Social Media Channels: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Tumblr, Pinterest, LinkedIn etc.
2. Assess the Situation: Social media channels used, competition, target audience.
3. Create Goals: Make a list of goals to achieve.
4. Strategise & Plan: Plan on ways to engage your target audience and attain your goals.
5. Platforms & Tactics: Choose your online platforms and know their specific use, know how often to share content and when to share.
6. Set Benchmarks: Analyse your results, set benchmarks and KPIs to analyse your results.
By creating a thorough social media plan for your business, you can be assured that your social media platforms play a crucial role.
View the content marketing matrix to assist you in building your content strategy.
While creating your content plan, it is important to decide who will be responsible for managing your digital and social media platforms.
The existence of a dedicated social media manager ensure that your social media channels will be updated frequently and on time.
Limiting your social media resources might cause these problems:
1. Keeping social presence up to date with relevant content can become difficult and might be shared with a general, nonspecific approach.
2. Social profiles might lose it’s supposed tone of voice and consistency.
3. Social profile goes days, weeks and months without engaging content.
4. Social profile updates will lack purpose.
Plan appropriate resources for social media management to handle customer service, content creation, data analysis and web traffic.
Allocate staff to be responsible for the planning and managing of social medial channels, give them clear instruction and priorities, give them a deadline for tasks, and provide them with social marketing tools such as Hootsuite (schedule post) and Google analytics dashboard.
Role: Social Media Executive
Responsibility: Day-to-day management of social media channels and basic reporting.
Role: Digital and Social Media Content Marketing Manager
Responsibility: Ensure all social media channels are aligned with other digital marketing channels and create content that fits both its purpose and audience. Ensure all content aligns with overall business and strategy.
Role: Web Analyst
Responsibility: Analyse data from social media channels and implement a data driven approach.
Role: Customer Service Assistant
Responsibility: Respond to customers on different social media channels.
Some companies and brands feel there is no need to use social media advertising as their business might be small and this could stretch their budget. Most of the time if you find a good social media or web design agency they can take care of this for you. However, allocating capital for advertising can lead to growth of brand awareness.
Social media platforms that produce the best ROI according to Social Media Marketers Worldwide – March 2016
Social media advertising provides profiling and targeting opportunities for businesses and online businesses to reach a specific audience. This includes remarketing and targeting look-alike segments.
However, some brands set up advertising and allow it to run without tracking data, tweaking and optimising reach.
Sponsored activity does not replace the effort needed in social media marketing management, and poor advertising strategy will not contribute to the company’s overall growth. Your end goal is to boost engagement.
To ensure the appropriate creation of an ad, create a social medial advertising strategy and keep it relevant to the digital and social channels used, create goals, know your audience and allocate capital.
1. Choose your digital platform to sponsor an advertisement on
2. Make a list of goals to achieve, this will help you to decide the type of platform you will be using
3. Plan a realistic budget and ensure that it provides you good ROI
4. Set an ads reminder in your calendar so that special offers do not continue running once they have expired
5. Analyse statistics and data, tweak and adjust your target to optimise reach
Even if your brand has a great social media marketing plan with dedicated resources, it is important to not forget that the key to engagement is conversation.
Responding to comments and enquiries is a vital part of digital and social media marketing. It is important to answer comments, messages and provide more than just an auto response.
1. Answer all questions and enquiries be it positive or negative
2. Look out for hashtags and brand mentions
3. Share positive posts or content on social platforms
Treating each digital platform the same is a huge, but common marketing mistake that a lot of businesses make. One has to remember that not all users behave the same. People use some social media networks less frequently and engage with 1 - 2 others multiple times a day. They choose their favourite platforms based on user experience, purpose and connections.
1. Create specific post that are relevant to each channel.
2. Identify the kind of network environment; is it corporate or casual.
3. Know the kind of posts that users are interacting with; what they are sharing, liking or commenting on.
4. Pick your social network according to data and objectives.
Do not copy what another brand is doing.
Cheryl is our digital marketing specialist who has years of experience in the advertising industry. She has a long track record in Social Media Marketing and Customer Relationship Management.Strong marketing operations professional with a Bachelor’s Degree focused in Business, Management, Marketing, and Related Support Services from Royal Holloway, University of London.
Please log in again. The login page will open in a new tab. After logging in you can close it and return to this page.